When we first made the final decision to move, I was completely bummed that we would miss out on the opportunity to spend the holidays with my family here. Josh had taken off Thanksgiving weekend and we had planned to go down to my sisters, and then to Ohio for Christmas. As we started planning things out more fully we realized that we would have a bit more time than we originally thought, and so would be able to at least spend Thanksgiving at my sisters, before Josh and his mom would drive the truck out to Utah. I was so grateful to have this last special time to spend with my family. My sister has had a rough couple of years, and actually had just had a minor procedure done on the Wednesday before our arrival. Things were a bit hectic, but also relaxing, and sometimes it's just nice to be able to sit back and enjoy time with the people you love.
Oliver having eaten a large chocolate doughnut, a final farewell to Tim Hortons. We used to love and get pumpkin doughnuts there in the fall every now and again.
My sister's beautiful home on eight acres of horse country. They have such an amazing place. I've loved visiting and getting to let my boys just run wild and explore in there beautiful property. Catching salamanders, riding horses, and chasing after their hilarious chickens.
Lizzie playing the guitar, she's grown up so much in the last year, what a babe, not that she'd ever want to admit that.
Uncle Rusty knitted the whole family hats this year, the boys both loved them, and felt so special. They also got Oliver a little box of dress up stuff(hence the sheriff badge) and a cool craft kit for his birthday. We tried to have an early Christmas with my family, since we new we wouldn't be back out here for Christmas this year. My mom got me started on the Willow Tree nativity set, which I love, and am so excited to have.
We got Josh and Lizzie some candy and cash this year, I figured they were getting to the ages when picking out your own things is sometimes a better bet. They were thrilled!
My kids just love spending time with these guys, they try to be very patient with them and play a lot. It was really hard knowing that our visits would now be fewer and farther between, but hopefully packed full of fun.
Josh volunteered to sit with the little kids, his parents said that he knew that's where he belonged, and felt more comfortable there. He certainly made it very entertaining for all the little ones!
Since Sherry was there I thought it would be a great time for us to get a new family picture taken. I included it in my gift to everyone, and they really turned out great1. Thanks Sherry. I know this will be ruining our Christmas card this year, but that;s only if I ever get around to sending them out, and considering all that I have going on right now, we'll see.
I love these girls, and fort now they'll have to give me my girl fix, because it's all boy at my house.
My mom and dad.
We decided to have Josh dive out with the truck the Friday after Thanksgiving, and Sherry was nice enough to offer to drive with him. I flew out with the boys the following Tuesday, which gave me some extra time to spend with my family, which I was really grateful for.
Funny story:
We have this pet hamster named Hedgie. He was named after Lincoln class hedgehog mascot in his kindergarten class. We set him up at my sister's, but neglected to cover a hole that one of the tubes used to fill. You have to understand Hedgie is fat and hardly can fit in his wheel, let alone this hole, and has had it that way for the past 4 days. Unfortunately the stress of having Oscar sniffing all the time must of really pushed him over the edge. He decided to make a break for it. Bad timing, loose hamster, the morning that Josh and Sherry had to leave. We searched everywhere, but nothing. Josh and Sherry had to leave and couldn't wait around for Hedgie to reappear. Well reappear he did, a little to late for his ride home however, and now I had no idea how I was going to get this thing home, or have to break Lincoln's already fragile heart.
I called the airline and was told of their no pet policy, but was lucky enough to be connected to a really nice lady with a huge heart. When I finished with my sob story she felt so bad that she went to talk to her supervisor. She came back with the same answer, but did let me know that if a doctor signed a note saying that my son needed Hedgie for some medical reason that he would be allowed on. At first I didn't really get it, but then talked to my doctor brother in-law, and realized that all he needed to do was right an honest note stating that Linc had been through a lot recently and really couldn't cope right now, with having to leave his little friend behind.
Rusty whipped out his prescription pad and proceeded to right the most perfect explanation as to why we could not leave the hamster behind, and made it sound so professional. How nice to have a doctor in the family at a time like this!
I have to give major kudos to the airline, they were so nice to let me know about this policy, it really saved my son's heart. Everyone was so kind throughout the trip, and numerous passengers gave me very strange looks and everyone wanted to see and talk all about Hedgie. He really was the perfect companion animal to my cute kids. What an adventurous journey, but we all made it safe and sound.



1 comment:
Awesome story about your hamster. By the way tell Tiff her hair is so cute!!
Post a Comment