Sometimes(or all the time) having a famous, well connected great grandpa makes us feel like we live a very well to do life, even though we really don't and are still living with my in-laws to save up for a house. It's nice to still be able to give my kids opportunities to do things I never had the chance or perhaps inclination to even try. Golf is one of those sports that after observing, I decided was way too boring to try, wow I was so wrong!
Grandpa Arnie knows a wonderful man named Ernie, who owns a golf course in Riverdale. He is generous enough to let us Ferrins golf there for free after a certain time, pretty much any day of the week we can work it in. We even get to drive the cool golf carts, which is really everyone's favorite part, secretly. I had never been golfing before, and pretty much royally stink, but it has become such a fun family sport for all of us, and most importantly we all can do it together, no matter what our skill levels are. Lincoln has already out surpassed my wildest dreams with his skills, and is far better than Josh and I combined. He cracks me up, he's so patient and well behaved on the golf course, and really takes it all very seriously, and has really become quite good for a 6 year old. He started going with Grandpa Tres and some of his cousins once a week a while back, and I thought it was so great that he had the opportunity to spend some time with his grandpa, and learn a new sport, that he'd be able to do his whole life. Then Josh started going, and so I wanted to try it out too. We were a little worried that Oliver would be completely bored, but he brings along his plastic clubs, and keeps himself busy with books and drawing when he's not practicing his swing.
Mostly I'm just surprised at how much I enjoy playing. I stink at driving, and probably could use a few lessons to help my swing, but it's such a fun thing to do as a family, and also fun to see us all slowly improving each week. We would never have the money to pay for a weekly outing like this, so thanks Grandpa Arnie for having such nice and generous friends.
The other nice thing that Ernie does is to give all our Ferrin kids jobs at the golf course. Seth has been a total workaholic there all summer, but it's been fun getting to see him here and there. He says he really likes it, so I'm hoping that Linc and Ollie might have that opportunity eventually too. I'm all about child labor, a good work ethic is an important thing these days.
After we'd been a few times and Josh saw how much fun I was having, he and his parents conspired to get me some clubs for my birthday. Ernie hooked them up with a great set of clubs for a bargain. Sherry and cute Jace even got me some cupcakes on my birthday, since it fell on one of our golfing days. So gourmet, they were fabulous!
Here we are with my new set of clubs, happy birthday to me! I was pretty spoiled this year, I also got fun Holga Camera. It's a really old school type 120 speed traditional film camera, with light leaks and over saturated developing. I've been having so much fun playing with it, but am now waiting the two weeks processing time that it takes to develop old film. I'm excited to get my pictures back though! We also stayed a night in a beutiful bed and breakfast in the Avenues, we had a balcony that over looked the Salt Lake Temple, it was amazing!
So I'm sure we have no Tiger Woods golfers or anything, but it's nice to feel like my kids will have some skills that will provide them with many years of great social and skillful sport like golf.



No comments:
Post a Comment