Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Where were you?

Tagged by my good friend Amy!
Oh and if makes you feel any better, I forgot how old I was at my most recent doctor's appointment.  I felt like such a ditz.  The doctor asked and I said, 29, she looked at my birth date and started laughing.  I felt so dumb.  I knew I wasn't 29 as soon as it came out of my mouth, I guess it's not a question I have to answer too often anymore.  I told her that that was my husbands age, not that getting my age confused with his really makes it even better, but I felt like I needed some sort of excuse, other than I'm just an airhead, right?  Anyway, I guess it's just wishful thinking, I can't believe I'm actually old enough to start forgetting.
So this is actually my first official tag, which is kind of fun.  So sorry Amy it's taken me so long.  It's a fun one though, hope you enjoy.

Where were you?
20 years ago......
Man that's a long time ago!
1.  I was in 5th grade.  It was actually one of my favorite years in grade school.  I had Mrs. Ice as a teacher, and some of the best, and funniest friends ever.  We were kind of the class misfits, but we enjoyed every minute of it.  My friend and partner in crime, was Chris Dean.  We had so much fun that year, flicking notes back in forth, and a million other things that we weren't supposed to be doing.  He was definitely the first guy I ever liked, first guy I "went" with, what ever that meant in 5th grade.  We were mostly just fast friends who enjoyed making mischief together.
2.  I had the most hilarious outfit that my mother thought was so cute, Oh it was hideous.  It was this overall outfit that had cartoons plastered all over it, with matching bows for my hair even!
3.  Gymnastics took up pretty much all of my free time, my coach was Jenny Cox, who I still wonder about to this day.  She had a huge impact on my life, and I sometimes wonder what she's doing now.  Man, she worked us hard.  I was pure muscle, I looked like a boy with out a shirt on, seriously, pretty sad.  I was happy though, I knew I could do anything, and it felt good.


ten years ago.....
1.  This was a hard one for me, because my college years kind of blend together a bit.  I lived in the same house for all five of my college years, and had mostly the same roommates for at least three of those years. We all thought that we lived in a pretty posh pad on Jackson Ave in Ogden, UT.   We had so much fun, ups and downs of course as any household does, but I really mostly remember all the good times, they're just endless.  I made some of the best friends of my life in college.  Sadly I don't keep in touch with all of them as well as I should, but I miss them and wish that I was better at that.  
2.  At 21, I was dating like crazy, but not very excited about anyone.  My roommates and friends were constantly giving me a hard time about being a "player" and supposedly going through guys like chocolate.  I saw things differently of course, I just wasn't finding the complete package for me yet, and "why waste their time and mine".  I would inevitably take these guys on "the walk" to explain how I just wasn't interested, which of course only added to the running joke my dating life was to all my friends.
3.  I worked at a place called Bev's Imports, they did custom framing.  I made some great friends there, it was very much a family working environment.  I stunk at the job though.  I was constantly making mistakes with my math.  Eventually I had to quit, it was starting to make me feel incompetent.  I had several others jobs throughout school: research assistant, Golden Swirl, and finally a server at Chili's.  I didn't get a real job, for about a year after graduation, psychology wasn't the most practical choice for a major.  I did enjoy it though, and I know I'll have a chance to go back to school and actually do something with it someday.


5 years ago.....
1.  I had just had Lincoln, and was learning how incredibly difficult nursing is, at least for me, the first time around.   I stuck it out though, and we finally got the hang of it.
2.  We lived in a little apartment in West Jordan, UT.  We had the best neighbors, who quickly became wonderful friends.  Our babies were only a few days apart, and if your a first time mom you know, that's an instant connection.  We really helped each other out, it meant the world to have someone to talk to about all of my fears, frustrations, and joys.  
3.  We were very, very poor, but also very happy.


3 years ago.....
1.  We lived in Palm Springs, CA.  We had a great little condo, in this nice complex, with a beautiful pool area, and a gulf course in every direction.  We had a lot of fun there.  Josh's grandpa owns a condo, a few miles from where we lived, so we had family and friends visiting a lot, which made it fun.  
2.  We loved the winters, but hated the summers, the 120' weather about killed us.  Lincoln survived a fire ant attack at 2, it was horrible.  Cockroaches, no matter how clean your house is, they find a way in, I had three encounters that I try to block out.  We had the coolest Griswold's station wagon, I miss it terribly.  Total gas hog though, and the air conditioner didn't work. When your living in Palm Springs, that's kind of problem. 
3.  We were trying desperately to get pregnant again, which for us is complicated.  I was on major hormones, which is never fun, but we survived, and Oliver finally made his debut. 


1 year ago.....
1.  We were in the process of moving from Reno, NV, to a place in upstate New York.  In Reno we had the cutest little house, in a perfect location.  Josh biked to worked, we had a huge park a few blocks away, and a funny little dog named Rosa.  We loved our ward, Lincoln had some really great little friends, and Oliver had just learned to walk.   Moving was hard to say the least, but we felt good about it. 
2.  Josh was already in New York working, he and his dad drove the moving truck across country together, while the kids and I stayed in Ogden, UT with his mom.  We eventually flew to Ohio, to stay with my folks for another few weeks, while Josh worked out all of our living arrangements.
3.  Terribly missing my husband and stressed about this huge move, but excited at the same time.


This year so far.....  
1.  Thoroughly enjoying where we are!  We love our little town, and upstate NY in general.  Things grow here like crazy, and I love learning so much from so many amazing women in my ward about growing and storing your own food.  We love being so close to Palmyra, we love the Erie Canal, all the trails, all the trees, and it's been amazing living so close to my sister and her family.
2.  Josh's book is being made into a movie, that's pretty cool right!  The process started in February and we just recently got all of the paper work officially signed.  Complicated, but exciting!
3.  Lincoln started preschool, Oliver started getting a bit sassy, and I just love finally having a big backyard for my boys to get really dirty exploring in. 


Yesterday......
1.  We went and picked a ton of raspberries.   
2.  We made a very ugly homemade scarecrow, for the upcoming scarecrow festival, which we are very much looking forward to, I love this time of year!
3.  Is anyone else having a hard time remembering what they did, just a day ago? Helped Lincoln and our little neighbor friend rake leaves to make a big pile at the bottom of our slide!


Today.....
1.   I made jam with all of those beautiful raspberries, did a million loads of laundry, and helped Lincoln figure out which of his planets was mercury.
2.  Launched a rocket a few times at the park, wow it went a lot higher than I expected!
3. Ordered some girl scout cookies, played in the rain, started reading "The Secret Garden', and am obviously working on this blog entry.
 

Tomorrow......
1.  Lincoln gets his first school pictures.
2.  Need to schedule flu shots, but really don't want to.  Linc really hates shots!
3.  Spend more time just playing with Ollie.  He's so easy, plays so much independently, sometimes I take advantage of that aspect of him too much.


Next Year.....
1.  Hopefully be completely settled somewhere.  I'm sick of moving.
2.  Hopefully we'll be expecting another baby, but that's never as easy as we'd like it to be.
3.  Blissfully happy, but I guess we already are, hope it stays that way!

So if you haven't already done this, I tag Jenni, Kristen, Julie, Carol, Tiffani, Staci, Robin, Betsy.
Have fun!  Can't wait to read your blogs!


3 comments:

Amy said...

That was so fun to read, thanks for sharing!

the.thirds said...

Tara, you are amazing. I loved reading your past and I treasure it.
Love,
Sherry

Jenni said...

I need to get working on this one... I read it a few days ago and have been meaning to do mine. Hope you guys are well. Any visits to Utah for the upcoming Holidays?