Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Not a Baker!

I am writing this, because I know there are many really great, cooks, bakers, ect.. who read my blog, and I thought that they would get a kick out of this.  If you know me, you know that I love cooking.  I'm constantly trying out new recipes, and really just enjoy the process. For the past few years I have been hiding a major hole in my abilities when it comes to homemade bread.  I have secretly envied all of the people, and they are many, who so easily whip out these beautiful loaves of  yummy bread and cry inside.  I would try and try all kinds of different recipes, but it always ended the same, dense horrible bread.  All of you reading probably know immediately what my problem was, I unfortunately like my bread, am a bit dense.  I sort of gave up.  Then, Josh bought me a bread maker.  I got the fire again, and figured, who could mess up a bread machine loaf of bread.  Apparently, me.  
So today I was looking on one of my favorite web sites, allrecipes.com, and came across a bread recipe that sounded amazing.  You have to know how much I love home made bread, hence the need to keep reopening the wound.  Well of course it didn't rise, but this time I finally made a connection.  I noticed that the yeast wasn't bubbling like it said it would.  First clue, what does this all mean?  I googled it, and low and behold the answer.  Check your yeast, it's only good for about four months.  Uh Oh.  Mine expired in November of 2006.  
Not months ago, years!
I hope I haven't completely appalled anyone, I'm really not the type of person that stretches expiration dates, and I circulate through things pretty well in my kitchen, I have no explanation as to why I never thought to check the date on my yeast.  
The best part of the story comes here though.  I can't tell you how excited and free I feel.  I am not cursed!  I can make bread!  I just need working yeast, I guess it's pretty important.
Josh is picking it up for me on his way home tonight.
I declare tomorrow a Bread Baking Day!  

Hopefully I'll be able to post a follow up picture soon of my beautiful, fluffy, loaf!

1 comment:

Carol said...

Don't feel bad, I to had a problem with making bread from bad yeast and not having it work. After I discovered my problem I decided I would take 1 year to really 'learn' how to make bread, all kinds of bread. It was a sort of 'New Years Resolution' only it wasn't New Years. Every time I talk about that year Ch- says, "That was a very good year!" Good luck! I'm sure it will turn out great!