Friday, April 30, 2010

Conference and a Hospital Stay

What an amazing conference we had, I was so inspired by so many of the talks, and felt so much of an emphasis on being a better parent, and maybe that's just what jumped out to me. I am so thankful that our church has conference weekend every 6 months, a time to sit, listen, feel the spirit, and reflect on your life and the things you could do better at. I always walk away feeling so much clearer about my role as a mother, wife, daughter, sister, and friend. I know I live so imperfectly, but instead of feeling weighed down by all of my short comings, I just feel more inspired to do better.
Unfortunately Oliver started throwing up in the wee hours of Sunday morning, so he and I snuggled on the couch while I held a bowl for him all day Sunday. We like to get the kids each a few spiritual gifts, things to remind them about the real meaning of the day, on Easter Sunday. Oliver was totally out of it, and Linc was pretty distracted because he was concerned about Ollie, but I think they both enjoyed the slow pace of the day, and just getting to snuggle around in our jammies and listen to the prophets. We had know idea that a flu could get so bad.

He continued with the throwing up all day, but seemed to be feeling a bit better towards dinner, even ate a little food, so we just assumed it was some typical 24 hour thing. That night he started throwing up again, and by the next morning after being up all night throwing up, the other flu symptom started.As a parent I try to let things run it's course before I take my children to the doctor, I don't feel like I let things go on forever, but I'm definitely not the type to take my kids to the doc for every sniffle. Maybe, it's because I grew up in the "give the kid an antibiotic for everything generation" and feel like my poor immune system never got a chance to shine during my childhood, because it seems like I was constantly on some antibiotic or another. Whatever the reason, I hate putting my kids on them if I don't have to. I figured this wasn't anything that medicine would really help anyway, and talking with Rusty( the only doctor in the family, poor guy) felt like the biggest concern would be keeping him hydrated.By Tuesday I knew he needed to be seen, mostly because my adorable high energy, always has something to say kid, was totally lethargic, somewhat unresponsive.
I made him an appointment Tuesday morning, but also needed to get Linc to school, and because of some stuff that he was stuggling with at school, he really wanted(emotionally) for me to take him. It would be hard to cram the appointment in before, but I rushed around getting everything ready, and gave Linc a kiss telling him I'd be back as soon as I could to take him to school. Thankfully Sherry was home so I could leave him. We made it about half way there when Oliver started puking up everywhere, and because he hadn't for about 12 hours I was totally unprepared for it. I headed back home, where I bathed him and redressed him, explained to Linc I wouldn't be able to take him(tears), called the doctors to let them know what was going on. They couldn't really hold my spot so I had to push his appointment back, I was a little frazzled so I didn't specifically ask them to put him in for that time, but told her I would just try and get there as quickly as I could. Well by the time I got there I was about 20 minutes late, and they had already given someone the next available time, so we sat in the waiting room for well over an hour with a really sick little boy. I truly have no beef with anyone, it was partly my own miscommunication, but just a frustrating situation to be in.
We have an excellent doctor who looked right at him and knew how sick he was, he wanted to take some blood,to see how bad he really was before he made a decision, which just made my heart ache. I made sure to explain to Ollie what was going to happen, so he wouldn't be painfully awakened from his walking comma like trance. The nurses came in and got him all prepped he didn't even respond until that needle went in, then he screamed and cried, and the flood gates burst open for us both. Unfortunately he was so dehydrated the his veins were not cooperating, so the first time didn't work and we had to pin him down while they tried his other arm. The second time did it, and then we waited to hear. Talk about a truly deserved sucker, he gobbled it down. His blood work came back all sorts of messed up, so the doctor said we needed to admit him and he probably would need to stay a night or two. I really couldn't stop the tears, I know there are so many people out there that have been through so much worse, but this was just heart wrenching. I called Josh and he got on the next train home, and made it time for the I.V. Thankfully!We had an amazing nursing staff, and even one of Josh's old friends from high school(a child care specialist) came to explain to Ollie how the I.V. or magic straw works. She helped so so much, they gave him a little doll to show him where it would go in and what it would do. They even had a special light to help them see the best veins. It still didn't go in right away, and after fidgeting with the first attempt for what seemed like forever, got it on the second poke. Once that was in he really started perking up pretty quickly. He had a few popcycles and fluid, but threw it back up, so they gave him some chemo drug called zophran( I live on this stuff for the first 3 months of my pregnancies) to help with the nasea.Our care was amazing, they showered him with movies, activities, even a wagon to take him on rides. He was such a little trooper, and luckily by the next afternoon, his blood work was back to normal. Home again, home again. I'm so grateful for modern medicine and all the prayers that went up in his behalf, it makes me feel so vulnerable when something as little as a stomach flu can make my little guy so sick so fast. So scarry!

( Sherry's sweet brother Brent brought Ollie this bunny, such a nice Great Uncle)

5 comments:

Dangcutekids said...

Poor little Oliver. My heart goes out to him, and to you Tara. I'd be hysterical too. I'm so happy to hear he's doing better. Your trip to CA looks like a riot.

Amy said...

My Goodness! How scary, I'm so glad that he's okay and had such great people taking care of him. What an ordeal you went through Tara! I wish could have been there to hug you and support you through it all. Love you guys!

Debbie Burns said...

So glad he is okay! And no matter what others have been through, it doesn't make our own experiences less scary or difficult. Love you!

sherryandtres said...

When I read your blog, I think, oh wouldn't it be wonderful if they moved home. Then wow, I am reminded you are home. You were gone so long. I love hearing little voices in the house. Going places with you and knowing for now my family is all close by. I love you and Josh so much (and kiddies) When Ollie got sick I was so grateful that he was here. He got such good care. What a tough little guy and tough mom. I V's are horrible. I am grateful everyday that I see you and the kids. Love Mom

Ellis Fam said...

Great update on what happened in the hospital. Glad he like the bunny, cute picture of the two on them.