Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Niagara Falls

Oliver after first arriving in our hotel room

So I know that this post is long over due since we went on our trip in May, but we had so much fun during Sherry's visit and going up to Niagara Falls was the best part. We drove up on a Thursday after Linc was done with school, and headed up to Buffalo. There we visited that fun naval park and then crossed over to Canada from there. I don't know if it was because we went to a more obscure border crossing or if the boarder officer we lucked out with was just having a really bad day, but we had a horrific experience crossing over into Canada. We all had all of our documents, but Josh unfortunately didn't come to enough of a stop at the stop sign just before his booth and because of that was truly treated like criminal. We were grilled for what seemed like forever about what we intended on doing there, how much we would spend, where we were all from, and a million other questions I can't even remember. Now I know all of this is very important and I'm not trying to down play that, it was really the manner in which he addressed all of us. He treated all of us like we were teenage criminals having been caught doing something horrible. After about 15 of the longest minutes ever he let us through and we were all just very quiet for awhile, not knowing what to say. We all felt like we gone through some sort of criminal interrogation.
We did try hard to shake it off so we could just enjoy the rest of our trip there, but I think it was on our minds a bit the whole time we were there, Josh especially was extra paranoid while driving, completely worried about doing anything wrong and possibly getting pulled over. I think all of us just had a slight fear of all Canadian authority. On a positive note, our experience leaving Canada was completely different, which was a huge relief.
We stayed in this great older more historic feeling hotel, it had amazing views of the falls, and we got it for a killer deal.

This is one of Lincoln's favorite parts of visits from grandma, he gets to play with her I-phone.

the kids at the Rain Forest Cafe

We love eating out and we really don't do it very often so we love getting to while were on trips. Anytime were with grandma Sherry she usually treats us to more than a few meals out on her. We really wouldn't be able to do near the traveling we do without her generosity.
The next day was packed full of fun stuff, but we started the day off with a buffet breakfast at the hotel, this is the view from one of the balconies. Isn't it just awe inspiring!

We started off with a trip to Birds of Paradise. Oliver loves birds and since we each got to pick a most favorite thing to do while we were there, this was Ollie's pick. It was a lot better than I was expecting. We were able to get really up close and personal with a lot of bright colored, beautiful birds. Below is a shot of me and the boys watching the guys clean out the cages of these very personable parrots. They had so much to say, they were quite the hoot.


The best and most memorable of our experiences there was being able to hand feed these beautiful Lorakettes. They had such personality and ate from these little containers of nectar right out of our hands. We held out the little cups and they just started landing all over us and they would just climb all around, it really tickled! We were all laughing our heads off the whole time.
Lincoln had one on his head for quite awhile.
The bird lady! Feed the birds.

Then we went down to the falls to ride the Maids of the Mists. These boats go out so close to where the falls come crashing down. As you came imagine it was an amazing experience to be that close to one of the wonders of the world, such power and beauty, it was humbling and a little disconcerting at times. I kept having panicky moments when I couldn't let go of my kids. It was amazing and I guess scary to be so close to something so beautiful and also so deadly.

We all sported these beautiful bright blue garbage sack type coverings and major kudos to Sherry for being a sport an coming along with us. She hates getting her hair wet, but it was worth it, I think she'll even agree. Those bags really kept us all pretty dry, those of us who wanted to stay dry that is, Lincoln had his off most of the ride.
We also went to a little picturesque village called Niagara on the Lake. It was so worth the drive. It was quiet and peaceful, free from most tourists, and lots of great shopping.


Some of the blossom trees sprinkled petals all over the ground and Oliver thought they were so soft and pretty. I started sprinkling them all over him, he loved it.

View from the top of the Falls, see what I mean about disconcerting.


Overall it was a perfect trip. I would go back in a heartbeat, and will hopefully have a chance to. Thanks Sherry for making it possible, we love you!

No comments: