It still seems amazing that we can drive 20 minutes and see wonderful things like these. In between sessions on Sunday we drove up to the Sacred Grove. They built a replica of Joseph Smith's home that looks out over the grove. The Palmyra temple is just on an adjacent hill overlooking everything. These pictures don't convey the beauty, not to mention that it's the worst time of the year to visit, the trees are all still dead, but I hope you can still imagine all the green life everywhere. The church never does anything half hearted, and when they go about restoring things they do an incredible job.
Walking into this tiny structure is just so overwhelming. I know this it is just a replica, but looking out the little back window into the grove where it all began, knowing that this was the very spot the Smith's gathered together to study their scriptures at dinner. This was the place where Joseph started questioning, wondering which church to join, and that grove of trees was the very place he received that answer, changing all of our lives forever. They took us up stairs to the boys bedroom, where the angel Moroni came to instruct the young prophet. I can't tell you what a sweet experience it is to be able to sit where he once might have been, and be able to ponder my own thankfulness for The Book Of Mormon, and all of the tremendous sacrifices he made to bring it forth for all of the world. We as a church are so incredibly blessed.
Palmyra Temple
After visiting all the sites we came home to watch the rest of conference. I have to say what a special day, and incredible session of conference to top it all off. I was so touched by Elder Ballard's talk to young mothers, and encouraged Lincoln to listen carefully when he spoke specifically to the children "encouraging them to help out around the house without being asked, and to often tell your mother how much you love her". It was a terrifically uplifting conference, and I'm always so grateful to be fed and renewed. I feel ready again to start off on a better foot, in so many areas of my life.
Sundays are such special family days, and it was so nice having Sherry here. We of course made our traditional crab dinner,(we always have crab when Josh's parents visit) which was superb!




1 comment:
You are SO lucky to live close to all of this. I am so happy for the adventures you are having.
Post a Comment