They've finally arrived! We've had these two ducks visiting our pond for the past month or two. It's funny because, I kept telling Josh that I thought she must be ready to lay some eggs. The male duck kept letting her eat all of the food we'd toss to them until she was full and then he'd eat what was left. It was so chivalrous for a duck, don't you think. Anyway, yesterday when Josh got home from work and was watering the tomatoes he noticed the female duck in the pond with seven little ducklings.
We have know idea where she nested, we couldn't find any eggs in our yard, but we thought it would have to be near by. They obviously can't fly yet, and couldn't walk too far. So they spent the night and most of the day today, but have now vanished, hopefully temporarily, we love to watch them. They are absolutely adorable, a little clumsy, and really fluffy. We try not to get to close, and give them their space, I really don't want them to get to attached to our pond. They're so cute now, but we don't want to be overrun with tons more ducks next season. We are totally enjoying the experience however, Lincoln of course loves them and wants to keep and cuddle them. I'm glad he's able to share a little experience like this, it seems to often these days kids miss out on stuff like this because they spend too much time inside watching television. It was so different when I was little, I practically lived outside, and only came in for food and sleep.
Back then I could just roam freely around my neighborhood and explore all sorts of new and exciting places, but times have definitely changed, and I would never let my kids roam around like I used to. It really makes me sad for them though, I hope their not missing out on some really important aspects of childhood. For the past week I've had to bribe Lincoln to go outside, seriously. I told him today no more T.V. until he remembers how to play, but the funny thing is that even when he does go outside he has all of these worries: Bees are the biggy! I've told him so many times that they rarely sting, and usually only when they get stepped on, which he doesn't need to worry about because he always has shoes on, but my promises provide no comfort for him. He loves bugs and spiders and used to just spend hours outside collecting all sorts of things, so I'm hoping it's just sort of some weird phase that he's going through. The ducklings have provided a new exciting interest for him outside. So I do hope they return, probably not for their own best interests, but for mine.

Click photo below for more pictures.
We have know idea where she nested, we couldn't find any eggs in our yard, but we thought it would have to be near by. They obviously can't fly yet, and couldn't walk too far. So they spent the night and most of the day today, but have now vanished, hopefully temporarily, we love to watch them. They are absolutely adorable, a little clumsy, and really fluffy. We try not to get to close, and give them their space, I really don't want them to get to attached to our pond. They're so cute now, but we don't want to be overrun with tons more ducks next season. We are totally enjoying the experience however, Lincoln of course loves them and wants to keep and cuddle them. I'm glad he's able to share a little experience like this, it seems to often these days kids miss out on stuff like this because they spend too much time inside watching television. It was so different when I was little, I practically lived outside, and only came in for food and sleep.
Back then I could just roam freely around my neighborhood and explore all sorts of new and exciting places, but times have definitely changed, and I would never let my kids roam around like I used to. It really makes me sad for them though, I hope their not missing out on some really important aspects of childhood. For the past week I've had to bribe Lincoln to go outside, seriously. I told him today no more T.V. until he remembers how to play, but the funny thing is that even when he does go outside he has all of these worries: Bees are the biggy! I've told him so many times that they rarely sting, and usually only when they get stepped on, which he doesn't need to worry about because he always has shoes on, but my promises provide no comfort for him. He loves bugs and spiders and used to just spend hours outside collecting all sorts of things, so I'm hoping it's just sort of some weird phase that he's going through. The ducklings have provided a new exciting interest for him outside. So I do hope they return, probably not for their own best interests, but for mine.
Click photo below for more pictures.
![]() |
| Ducklings |




No comments:
Post a Comment