Thursday, November 5, 2009

Moving again!

I thought I should post something about our move. Josh and I both have put stuff up on facebook about it, but I also know that not everyone does the facebook thing, so I wanted to make sure everyone new about our upcoming move.

We have been contemplating a move for sometime now, Josh has loved his job here, but it has changed a lot over the last year. Because of budget cuts, layoffs and furloughs, he has found a lot less fulfillment in what he's been doing and stress over his job security. Not to mention his schedule here has been really hard as of late. Don't get me wrong having him home during the day has also been such a blessing, he's been able to spend so much time with the kids. For us though, we have no social life, and hardly any quality time alone, which has been hard. He's also just been struggling with the whole night owl routine, and his body has been protesting a bit. There is definite wisdom in "early to bed, early to rise".

So we started looking around a bit to see what our options were, and in this economy, in the newspaper world, there wasn't much. So he'll be jumping into a new medium of sorts, starting up a new magazine in Salt Lake City, for The Deseret News. I would give more details, but can't because it hasn't been launched yet, it's all a bit under wraps still. He will basically be designing this new publication, which is very exciting for him. This will also provide our family with a ton more job security, job enjoyment, both of which are huge things.
This being our 11th move in the 8 years we've been married, I think qualifies me for some type of expert packing degree. I'm actually not stressed at all, perhaps because we just moved 7 months ago and most of the things in my basement are already ready to go, or because I haven't had enough time to accumulate that much junk around the house, but we've already accomplished a ton and everything keeps continuing to fall into place.

The plan is to move into Tres and Sherry's (my in-laws) basement, in Ogden, for the next few months, we really want to buy in the spring, and finding leases under 6 months is hard, we didn't want to feel rushed when we are ready to buy, and we wanted to let Linc finish up his school year without another move. Plus it will allow us to save up even more for our down payment, which is so nice. We are so grateful to them for offering this to us, and it has made the stress of the transition a lot easier. The commute for Josh will be a little long, but his work pays for tickets on the Front Runner, which is a high speed commuter train. Riding this will only take him 40 minutes, which isn't too bad, and it'll give him some nice reading, arting, and meditative time.

All of these changes bring some mixed feelings for me. I've never been one who deals with change very well, but in so many ways have had to adapt. I feel so good about this decision and know that it is right for our family, that makes it a ton easier. I still get teary whenever I talk with my sister on the phone, or visit with a good friend from church.

I will really miss this place, I've grown to love it here. There is beauty everywhere in every season. Life springs up so easily everywhere, a gardeners paradise, except for the constant weeding. I'm determined to make it work in the desert though. It is the most family friendly place that we've ever lived and the people are amazing. I've made such wonderful friends, who I will miss terribly, and who have taught me so much. I feel being here for even the short time we have, has changed me, and I'm grateful that Heavenly Father in His infinite wisdom new we needed to be here.

I will miss our ward, because they're like family, and even though Josh's schedule made it tough to be completely involved, we felt their love and loved them back. The schools here rock, I'm so sad to leave them, Lincoln has had the best experiences here, and learned so much. I just have to hope with enough parental involvement our kids will survive the lousy schools in Utah (hope I don't offend anyone, they just don't compare to the schools out here). Josh was educated there, and he's a pretty smart guy, so that gives me hope.

I feel so lucky that we've been closer to my sister and her family, she's had some serious struggles for the past 2 years, and I'm glad I was here for her, and able to do what I could. I'm also glad she has started on the road to recovery, because it makes a tiny bit easier to let them go, knowing she'll be healthier and happier. Unfortunately my dad has been having some health complications as of late, but he's a fighter and I just keep praying that things will be O.K. for them somehow. I also know that no matter how far apart we are we're family, and we'll make it work because we love each other tremendously.

We also just recently found out that some of our best friends will be moving out here in December, and we were so looking forward to having them closer. (James and Amy we wanted to cry about the timing of all of this, but know you will love it out here, even without us.) Now we'll have to resign ourselves to the fact they still have family out west so we should still see them every once in a while.

When I talk to all of our friends and of course family out west who have been missing us, I can only be giddy with excitement, and the prospects of being closer. So I find myself completely torn, but determined to be positive and keep moving forward. I'm grateful to have the Lord's hand in guiding and directing my life, it provides so much comfort even amid big change, and that is something I really need!

7 comments:

Heidi said...

Congratulations on your upcoming move!! I'm excited for the new chapter in your lives...its amazing how the Lord directs and opens up new opportunities for growth. Your attitude is great and you'll handle this beautifully. (When we had to move from UT to NYC, I was a bit stubborn and cried more than I want to admit, but now I think its great!!) With your optimism and faith, you guys will do amazingly! Good luck with all the logistics! And if it works out, we'd love to see you before you leave the state. :) take care!

Dangcutekids said...

Ahh, but we'll miss you so much. You are such incredible friends! Please let us know what you need during these crazy weeks ahead!

Debbie Burns said...

Congrats. Best wishes on your move to Utah. :)

Robin said...

Hey- I just saw your comment on my blog. Congratulations!!? There's a chance we'll live in UT come next summer, so maybe we can revisit some of our old stomping grounds together! Good luck with the move!

Reno 411 said...

Sorry, moving totally stinks. I am super excited for you though. Josh will be amazing he is so very talented. You have had some wonderful adventures while you have been in NY, that you'll be glad for.

McCombs Family said...

You do deserve awards for moving...and for lots of other stuff too. It sounds like it is the perfect move for your family right now. (closer to Reno!!!) Let us know your new address when you know it.

katie said...

Thanks for sending me your blog Tara! I will hopefully gets some pics posted on mine soon. Your pictures are so cute and I love that you wrote about each one. You are a master blogger, I will try to follow your example. We will surely miss you guys, I hope that all goes well for you in Utah. The Fairport ward will definitely miss you though. Have a safe trip and drop me a line every once and a while and let me know how things are going.