Friday, March 27, 2009

Rainy Days


The weather is finally warming up around here, but I'm not going to get too excited because I've been told we're probably in for at least one more snow, before it's officially Spring.  Today it was in the 50's, but a little drizzly all day.  The boys were begging to go out and splash in the puddles, so I gave in.  Lincoln had already gone through two other outfits for the day(long story) and I new if I let them out it would be time for outfit #4, but I'm weak. We had a fun time, it always seems like when I just throw out all my reservations about all the work and clean up involved, and let them choose our activities, it always ends up being worth it. 
 

I should tell why Lincoln was already in his 3rd outfit for the day.  This morning he got dressed and did all of his to do's, one of which is a rotational morning job of my choice.  His room was pretty ram sacked from having company all weekend so I asked him to help me sort through it, and put everything back where it belongs.   A few minutes go by and I notice that I'm all alone in his room doing the whole job by myself, so I call to him.  He comes in totally spotted with something, and smelling very minty.  Apparently one of his cousins left behind a little Listerine pocket breath freshener and Lincoln used it's entire contents up in about 5 minutes.  His eyes were red and watering, his shirt was covered, but he did smell nice.  The other outfit has to do with a his pants not making it down to his ankles when he potties, and we all know the danger in that.   Unfortunately in this specific incident the danger was not just to his pants, and
 required yet another whole outfit.  


Needless to say it was a tough morning for Linc, but I also have to tell about the highlight of my year that also happened this morning.  We had the most amazing parent teacher conference with Linc's preschool teacher.  She literally got teary as of course did I, while talking about him and what an amazing kid he is.  Being his mom, I've of course always thought these great things about him, but hearing from someone else, who works with tons of kids every year, made it really real to me.  She said he was so kind to everyone, extremely social and friendly, such a great listener, and so on.  The real clincher for me though, was when she said that he often taught her things.  She said she brought in a bag of fake tattoos for all the kids and Lincoln told her he didn't want one and why.  I felt a little funny at first, thinking she would think me pretty silly, it's just pretend, right?  But like I explained to Lincoln when it first came up, it's like candy cigarettes, why practice something now that we shouldn't do as adults.  She totally
 agreed.  She said it really made her think with all the choices of things I could be bringing in, I shouldn't bring in tattoos, you know.  I have to say I was really proud of him.  I'm totally not basking in any parenting glory, I'm actually a firm believer in the fact that kids come here in a large part preprogrammed, but it's so fun watching them shine, and knowing I'll get the rest of my life and eternity to see him keep growing and becoming this amazing person.  Lincoln were so proud of you, and all the things that your doing, you teach of things everyday too, keep up the hard work.

2 comments:

Glenn and Sara said...

Wow, you can tell that you have had photography experience. You can even make the dull, cold, spring weather of upstate N.Y. look beautiful! I suppose it helps that you have reeeeally cute kids. I miss you guys! It's been a while since we talked. Sure glad we have blogs to keep up with eachother:-)

:) said...

Tara, that is such a great lesson to teach your kids. Now I feel like I need to wean Georgia off her obsession for fake tats. Lincoln is such a special kid. You two are great parents, but I hear ya about kids coming pre=wired!! We are blessing Jersey on Easter Sunday. I'll give you a call this week!